Monday, October 13, 2008

fire drill

Around 7:15 this morning I was in bed, Brad was in the shower. Beep Beep Beep, 2 smoked detectors started going off. I wish I could say I didn't lay there in a daze half asleep when Brad yells from the kitchen for me to get up now!!!His direct demand got me right out of bed and into the kitchen where the kitchen was aglow. The stovetop, toaster and nearby countertop items were on fire. The entire house was full of smoke(due to its smallness), while Laila was screaming in her bedroom. Luckily, Brad was able to get the fire out with water. He lost a stack of folders and a binder of CCI papers, our toaster and some other insignifant things.

Everything is fine now. I am so glad our smoke detectors worked. I don't know when I would have woken up or when Brad would have gotten out of the shower otherwise. Our house smells like a campfire and we need a new toaster but the house is in tact. Laila thinks I need to buy a pink toaster...I am not so sure.

Wondering how this little fire started??? I don't want to name names here but someone got up and turned the stove top on to heat some water before they went into the shower. They meant to turn on the front one but accidentally turned on the back one which the toaster was way to close to. Basically this wouldn't have happend if our counters weren't so crowded.

See dear it pays to be paranoid sometimes and vigilant in checking to make sure smoke detectors work:)

3 comments:

Julia said...

Scary! I guess that's one way to jump start your day! So glad all is well now.

B-Handsome said...

Yes, Justin i was fire fighting naked ;)

Shawna Marie said...

Wow, certainly not what I want to be woken up to. Glad you are all okay.