Wednesday, October 10, 2012

8 and 6

Monday afternoon Laila and Landon had their yearly checkups. They are both up to date on their immunizations so it was nice knowing all they needed were their yearly flu shots. It is nice being able to do both of their checkups together each year. I think it relieves some nerves when they are not doing the tests alone. However, I know soon it won't be appropriate for them to be in the same room.

Laila is 4 ft 2 inches tall and weighs 57lbs. That puts her in the 50th percentile for height and weight. I was a little surprised by this. I have always thought she was on the taller side and people have been commenting lately that she looks much older than she is which I hate of course. Landon is 3 ft 9 or 10 I can't remember  now. He weighs 53 lbs. This puts him in the 49th percentile for height and 75th for weight. Last year they commented on how he was a little heavy for his height even though he didn't look it. This year they didn't say a thing. He is just a well built little boy.

They both passed their hearing and vision tests beautifully. Landon messed around a little with his hearing test. At first he just kept going back and forth between raising his hands instead of really listening. Luckily our nurse is very sweet and patient. When the nurse got done doing her part she said "ok have them take their clothes off down to their underwear"...Landon said, "but I'm not wearing underwear." That's my boy! Apparently he decided not to put on any underwear that morning. This is not the first time this has happened. I guess I need to be checking from now on. When the doctor came in they answered all his questions about how they are liking school and if they take their vitamins. Landon even complemented Dr. Karpel on his tie. Dr. Karpel is pretty serious and I have never seen him laugh but he got quite the kick out of that. He said he isn't used to getting complements from his patients on his clothes. :)

This year I chose to do the flu mist for Laila and Landon. They are old enough to follow directions and sniff when told to. They were so relieved. As my kids have become older they have become worse at receiving shots so it was a relief for me as well. Poor Lydia got her flu shot though. We weren't sure she could sniff the mist up correctly. I didn't want to waste the mist and then have to pay for that and a shot. She ended up getting poked twice. I underestimated how strong she is and she flinched at the last second on the first arm and the needle grazed her arm. Laila woke up this morning with a sore throat and a headache. It is possible that it is side effects of the mist. They told me before hand that they see more side effects with the mist than with the shot. However, nothing serious.

No comments: