Tuesday, January 8, 2008

We had a close one

I always read not to give hard candy to children under 5, now I know why. Laila got some lifesavers for Christmas so I had just given her one thinking she could handle it because she would probably chew it right up anyway, wrong!! About ten seconds after I unwrapped it for her and she plopped it in she started screaming hysterically pointing to her neck. I knew she had obviously swallowed it but I didn't understand what the big deal was. Soon she was dancing around the house continuing to whale. I ran for my cell phone to call the pediatrician's office to see what harm that would be for her to swallow one whole because of course, she couldn't be choking if she is screaming right? As soon as I found the phone she doubled over throwing up a bunch of water she had just drank and the whole lifesaver. Instant relief for her..and I..she was now concerned about the fact that she had thrown up all over the floor. So what happend? Why was she in so much pain? Was it stuck in her throat partially?? Well whatever happend scared me enough so no more hard candy for Laila for awhile!

2 comments:

kristi said...

that is scary. you handled yourself really well, i would have been freaking out. maybe it got stuck and was bothering her? sometimes when i take pills they get kinda stuck in my throat and it hurts, but i'm not chocking on it, it's just kinda stuck. that could be what happened to her. glad it turned out fine.

Jami said...

I'm glad all it well and you are both fine. I think I get more scared than Hannah does when she does things like that... we had that happen a while back with just an everyday food.. she ate something and then fell or something and it got stuck for a few seconds (seemed like minutes) and then it disloged and she was fine. :)