Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mission accomplished!

I completed my first half marathon(13.1 miles) yesterday. It was not everything I envisioned but I finished with a smile on my face. I really wish I would have had someone to run with. I noticed I was one of few lone runners. Most people were in groups or had someone they were chatting with. I had my music to keep me going. I was not expecting the first 5 miles to be the most difficult. A half mile down the road I completed rolled my ankle. I must have flexible ankles because the way it twisted it should have broken. Luckily, the worst that happened was me saying "oh shit" out loud. I was fine.The main reason the first 5 were difficult was it was just hard to get into a good rhythm...It was so crowded and I kept thinking oh gosh I have barely started and I hurt. Once I got past 6 miles I could start counting down. I wish I would have known exactly what I was getting myself into with the difficulty of the course. I was so naive thinking it would be pretty flat. I mean who puts hills, like 5 sizeable hills in a half marathon and full marathon.??? Luckily, I have always been a pretty good hill runner. However, I had not been running on many during my training. Miles 6-8 consisted of me holding my butt and trotting along cursing under my breath. Butt cramps are no joke! I am sure it had to do with all the hills. Eventually the pain eased and I was able to pick the pace back up again. Miles 10-13 feel like they were really just a blur.

My favorite moments during the run were all the little kids on the side of the road holding their hands out for people to slap. At mile 12 they were handing out cold beer. I don't like the taste of beer AT ALL but I almost grabbed one just so I could tell Brad I had one. I decided not to when I envisioned myself throwing up beer at the finish line. The best moment of the run was the finish though seeing my parents, Brad and Laila standing in the rain, soaked cheering for me. I am glad I saw my goal through and I think I may try to do another one in the near future. I need to keep on running. I don't ever want to be as out of shape as I was 7 months ago. Who knows maybe someday I will completely lose my mind and do a full marathon.

 

No comments: