Monday, October 22, 2007

Music and memories

I am a very emotional person, as are a lot of girls I realize. A few weeks ago as I was driving, which is when I usually think a lot, I thought back to my childhood and then high school, college and now and how there have been a lot of songs that provoke memories, good and bad. Sometimes it was because the song was playing during an event or there was a song I liked during a period in my life. Anyway I kind of went through my life like a timeline and thought of songs that have meant something to me....I am going to list just a few of them and not say why they are on the list unless I think necessary..I invite others to share their list..please!! You don't have to share why you have them either because some may be private or just plain embarrassing...also, disclaimer..I don't even like some of the songs...but they still bring out emotion or have meaning. Brad might say mmmbop brings out rage in him:) 

"What's love got to do with it"~Tina Turner: my brother and I used to sing it together as little kids, it was our favorite song

"One moment in time"~Whitney Houston I think: was playing at the opening ceremonies  for Junior Olympic Nationals when I got All American

"Candy Rain": just makes me think of 5th grade

"mmmbop": obession begins

Cleopatra's one and only cd I believe~too long of a story

"Creep"~TLC

"November Rain"~Guns N Roses

"Everything I do..I do it for you"~Bryan Adams: Brad used to see it to me in high school..it was then our wedding song

"If it makes you happy"~Sheryl Crow: my best friend and I used to scream it in the car in high school

"I'm feeling this"~Blink 182: Plu friends

"There goes my life"~some country singer(mind blank): It was playing on the radio the night Brad and I drove home from the drug store to take a preggo test to then find out Laila was coming. Very fitting...I was in denial about it until this song came on. 

"open the eyes of my heart"~many christian artists: I sang this song to my grandma just hours before she passed away..I will cry if I hear it. 


ok I think that is it for now..I am sure there are a ton more. I think you can learn a lot about a person this way too! So come on guys!!









9 comments:

kristi said...

i have to think about this for awhile. i will be back sometime to post mine. :)

Shalisa said...

If I had a Million Dollars - Barenaked Ladies

Meet Virginia - Train

Closing Time - Semisonic

Forever Young - Alphaville

Believe - Cher

With Arms Wide Open - Creed

Sacrifice - Elton John

99 Red Balloons - Siobhan Duvall

We are the Champions - Queen

Better Man - Pearl Jam

Blue - Eiffel 65

Marionette - Abba

House of the rising Sun - Bob Dylan version

.justin said...

man, what a great idea Liz!


and by the way, Candy Rain is a tight jam, yo.

nice!


i too will have to think of mine... music does this to me too... it's so tied into moments in my life.


shalisa, lately "better man" makes me think of my mom. but i only connected that in the last year or two. and mostly just b/c of the lyrics.




when i was younger music became a soundtrack to video games... i'm going to really have to think about this one!

Water Buffalo said...

oh man Shalisa..I forgot about the song closing time..it just reminded me of something really funny:)

Rachel and Tyler said...

This is so funny becuase the other day I was in the car and a Lifehouse song came on and I felt like i could be back in highschool. Tons of songs bring music back for me. Josh Groben and Tim Mcgraw remind me of my husband and a million other songs. "Please forgive me" by Brian Adams reminds me of Tyler thornbrue. "Silence is Golden" remindsme of my sister and this one christmas song. we thought they were both weird songs so we sang them all the time. My baby got sauce reminds me of some of my college roomies becuase we would listen while we cleaned our apartment. If I ever hear anything by hanson I tell Tyler "Oh my gosh my freind Liz was totally obsessed with them"- then he says "Iknow you told me" I could go on and on but it is fun when a song sparks a memory.

kristi said...

Heres mine. They are mostly whole cd's.

New Kids on the Block - anything by them

Shine - Newsboys

Everything I do, I do it for you- Brian Adams (1st song I slow danced with a boy)

Jars of Clay - their 1st cd. Flood?

I'll be missing you - Puff Daddy (I think) This song will always remind me of the summer Kendall and I hung out every single day!

Supertones

Creed - reminds me of riding around in James's jeep with the top down.

Savage Garden - my dad took me on a kayaking trip in the san juans, we listened to this the whole ride up and back

Bebo Norman and Enrique (no idea how to spell his last name) always remind me of Cindy and the time we were living together and our drives up to Bellingham

At the foot of the cross - One hundred hours

Norah Jones - reminds me of all the time spent at Dereks house with Derek, Cindy, Dave, Rob, and Josh

Gonna be worth it - Rita Springer reminds me of India

Theres a Hawaiian song that was popular when me and Justin first started hanging out. I don't know the title or the singer. I could sing it to you though. :)

David Crowder - Illuminate me and Justin listened to this during our drive to Minnesota

4th Avenue Jones - reminds me of being at youth specialties in Tennessee because thats where I first heard them

I'm sure I'll think of more later that I wish I had put! :)

Ryan said...

My list will be up shortly, oh man are you guys gonna laugh laugh laugh...

anita said...

liz, this is such a great post. i gotta think on it, too.

.justin said...

i often "hear" songs as soundtracks to driving and video game portions of my life. i think that's because i listened to music while doing those things!


here are a few:

all 4 one - i swear / driving under the H-1 freeway on Nimitz Hwy by the airport in hawaii

dashboard confessional [his early stuff] - while on the "left coast tour" w/ justin smith and ash

there is a specific song in my head for the SNES games: sim city, F-Zero, and Secret of Mana, but i can't remember what they are exactly.

well, now judah wants me to read him a book... so i guess i'm done with this post.

it wasn't very good, i know!