Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I have an idea

Every time I go to the grocery store I try to park as close as possible to a cart return. My grandma engraved the need to return carts to the return and it bothers me when people do not. However, when you have children with you and you are forced to park away from a cart return, you face a delimma. Do I lock the door with my kids and quickly run the cart back? Do I put the groceries away while both kids stand there..hoping they don't run into the road and take them with me to return the cart? OR do I leave my cart sitting in the parking space next to me? Lately, I have been choosing the lock the kids in the car and run the cart back method. However, I always end up pulling away from the store thinking what if..................

I have seen expectant mother parking at the mall and maybe a couple other places. What if they had some parking spaces on each side of a cart return designated for people with children? Does this exist anywhere? I haven't quite thought through all of the possible difficulties with this plan. Maybe no one else thinks this is a big deal. Maybe it's too discriminatory to others?? I am not quite sure...Thoughts anyone?

3 comments:

Julia said...

I think multiple children under 4yo parking spots would be beneficial to caretakers of little ones.

Rachel and Tyler said...

I ALWAYS park by the cart return! That would be sweet if they designated it! Out here some stores charge you for a cart (just a quarter) you can't get your money back if you don't take it back. Everyone takes their carts back at those stores, it's nice not dodging them in the parking lot!

anita said...

This is what I do, judge me if you want! lol...when I have the kids with me I try to park as close as possible to the cart return. If i'm within a couple spots I lock the kids in the car and run the cart back. If I can't get that close, I just leave the cart in between the rows. I know it's better to put it away, but frankly, the kids' safety is more important. I always try to remember tho, when I see carts in the middle of the lot, that maybe it was some other mom or grandma who left it there. AND I try not to park too close to the cart return if I don't have the kids with me!